Andrea Yates confessed to drowning her five children in their bathtub at home on June 20, 2001. She had been suffering for some time with postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis.   In her 2002 trial, the district attorney in asked for the death penalty. She was ultimately found competent to stand trial and convicted of capital murder. After the guilty verdict, but before sentencing, the state abandoned its request for the death penalty, and she was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years. Later, the verdict was overturned on appeal and the Texas jury in her retrial found that Yates was not guilty by reason of insanity.
Join us at the quiet end for a frank and in-depth exploration of Andrea’s case, the controversy surrounding her husband’s supportiveness, and the science of postpartum psychosis.  An Austin beer is reviewed and recommended.

This episode is sponsored by Hello Fresh.  Sign up for their convenient and delicious meal plans and get $35 off your first week by using True Crime Brewery’s promo code “TCB” at check out!
Check out True Crime Brewery on Patreon: www.patreon.com/tiegrabber

Postpartum Psychosis: The Andrea Yates Case

6 thoughts on “Postpartum Psychosis: The Andrea Yates Case

• March 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Hey Jill and Dick!! You two are the sh** I finally have caught up on ALL your episodes. I have become obsessed and talk about you to my dad like you both are my family. Your very specific detailed set up of the murders makes me feel like I am standing there watching it all. Thank you for having an episode about mental illness and the lack of help when it comes down to it. Huge impact on my family because my mother took her own life battling her mental illness after failed health care, lack of mental health facilities and medication management. I texted my dad after today’s episode and told him to “meet me at the quite end of the bar where we can discuss true crime”. He agreed. I think you guys should come out with t shirts that say that!! Love you guys keep up the amazing job.

• June 4, 2017 at 2:39 am

My 2-hour commute wouldn’t be the same without you two! Would you consider doing an episode on the 1999 murder of Trevor Cunningham and Mundy Gould in Dexter, Maine? Trevor’s grandfather now heads a organization for families of murder victims. I went to highschool with Trevor’s mother, and I’m sure the organization would help you in any way possible. Let me know!

• June 6, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Hi Faith,
      Thank you for listening and for taking the time to write. I will definitely look into that case. Jill

• July 6, 2017 at 2:00 am

The Andrea Yates case really gets my blood boiling. Rusty Yates left his children with an unstable caregiver time and time again and he was charged with nothing. If Andrea was a working mom and left her kids with her mentally unstable sister and the sister killed the kids, the public would have wanted her hung.

When Andrea was taken into custody the staff who did intake said they’d never processed a filthier person or a more mentally disturbed person: But, they washed her up, gave her correct medicines and paraded her for the cameras and we hated this perfectly normal & attractive lady who killed her kids for no reason we could see.

And Rusty is remarried and has “new” kids.

• July 29, 2017 at 3:25 am

Couldn’t agree more. He kept impregnating her, knowing full well what a state she was in (time after time!) while providing no real support or aid… ‘Careless’ doesn’t even begin to describe what a horrible man he was and likely still is. God bless his currently family because he obviously is without any sense of basic human awareness or empathy.